Wheeled quarter-pallet tests at Henderson demonstrated an improvement in logistics and in sales results for retailers
CHEP, a global company specialising in supply chain servicing solutions, carried out tests of a wheeled quarter-pallet - a dolly - at Henderson Wholesale Ltd., an international concession of the SPAR retail chain. The three-week pilot programme took place at 13 SPAR convenience stores in Northern Ireland and demonstrated that the CHEP dolly helps retailers maximise sales and reduce supply chain costs. This success has paved the way for Henderson to use CHEP’s plastic wheeled quarter pallet dolly at the rest of its stores in Northern Ireland.
The store managers welcomed a ready-made display solution. Turnover during the trial period looked very promising – double-digit sales growth for beverages displayed on dollies was reported as compared to shelf displays. The CHEP dolly improved the end-to-end supply chain process by removing handling stages at both distribution centre and at store level. Importantly, it saves time for the staff responsible for maintaining stock levels. “The shop saves at least 10 minutes on each display thanks to the Dolly palette,” said Alan Abraham, Logistics Manager for Henderson Wholesale. “We are determined to include the mobile quarter display pallets in our promotional plans for the coming year. Having a dolly that can be positioned in different places throughout the day depending on footfall yields enormous promotional benefit. We also like the way CHEP is solutions-oriented and proactively helps our business. We can work together in many ways to improve the supply chain, enhance employee safety, sustainability and sales performance,” he added.
Henderson Wholesale is one of four companies in the Henderson Group. The company distributes nearly 7,000 fresh and frozen food products to 447 stores throughout Northern Ireland. SPAR is the world’s leading food retail chain franchise. In Northern Ireland in September, Henderson Wholesale opened a new 17,000 m2 covered warehouse for food products that can accommodate 14,000 pallets.
The CHEP 600 mm x 400 mm mobile display platforms are pre-loaded with products and do not require presentation stacking in-store. They can be easily moved from warehouse to vehicles for delivery to the stores. Upon arrival, the carriers are unloaded rapidly and can be positioned in the sales area without the need for a trolley. “This translates into convenience for consumers who have access to the products they require at various times of the day,” said Helen Lane, CHEP Vice President and Regional Director, UK and Ireland. “CHEP's mobile quarter display dolly has been successfully used in store promotions, providing enhanced product visibility and easy replenishment at the point of sale. The CHEP dolly improves the flow of products across the whole supply chain while minimising the number of operations. We are very pleased with the test results – investment in new products and services to improve the quality of customer service is a fundamental part of our strategy,” she added.
About the Henderson Group
- Henderson Group is a local family business that achieved 89th place on the latest 2017 Sunday Times HSBC Top Track 100 league table of the UK’s private companies.
- Henderson Group was ranked 17th in the Top 100 NI Companies 2017.
- The Group owns the SPAR, EUROSPAR, VIVO, VIVOXTRA and VIVO Essentials franchises in Northern Ireland.
- Four companies make up the Group - Henderson Wholesale, Henderson Retail, Henderson Group Property and Henderson Foodservice.
- Henderson Wholesale has been distributing food and grocery products to the convenience retail sector for 120 years and is the largest operator of its kind in the country, supplying 447 stores.
- The Group is committed to sourcing local fresh foods from farmers, growers and suppliers. Over 75% of fresh products sold are sourced from either Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.
- Henderson Retail owns and operates 80 SPAR and EUROSPAR stores in Northern Ireland.
- Henderson Foodservice is a market leading supplier to the catering industry, providing a vast range of products to hotels, schools and restaurants across Ireland.
- Operating out of its head office in Mallusk, the Group employs 3,306 employees across Northern Ireland.
- The companies that comprise the Henderson Group have been recognised on numerous occasions, receiving various awards, including the following: Retail Industry Awards Convenience Retailer of the Year and Forecourt Retailer of the Year; Grocer’s Gold Awards’ Independent Retailer of the Year 2017; Best Use of Technology, NI Chamber Business Awards 2017; Henderson Foodservice, Deloitte Best Managed Company Gold standard and Investors in People Silver accreditation, to name but a few.
For more information, visit: www.henderson-group.com.
About SPAR International
SPAR is an international group of independently owned and operated retailers and wholesalers that has been at the forefront of convenience retailing since 1932. It has cooperated with the Henderson Group since 1961. SPAR is a global brand with 44,000 stores in 44 countries. You can more information at: www.spar-international.com.
CHEP is a global provider of supply chain solutions serving the consumer goods, fresh food, beverage, manufacturing and retail sectors in more than 60 countries. CHEP offers a wide range of logistics and operational platforms and support services that are designed to increase performance and lower risk while improving environmental sustainability. CHEP has 12,500 employees and owns approximately 300 million reusable platforms (pallets and containers) , supporting more than 500,000 customer locations for global brands such as Procter & Gamble, Sysco, Kellogg’s and Nestlé. CHEP is part of the Brambles Group, the operator of a portfolio that includes IFCO, the leading provider of Reusable Plastic Containers (RPCs) to the fresh food supply chain globally, as well as specialist container logistics solutions to the automotive sector. For more information, visit chep.com. For information on the Brambles Group, visit www.brambles.com